The Department of French had its inception in the college from the day it was started at Nagapattinam in 1844. French was taught to European officials at first and later some Indians were admitted into the course.
Fathers J. Bourdot, V. Allard, H. Ginhouse, A. Comboulives, A. Fournier, H. Audrian, F.X. Froehly, Lamahieu, G. Bergeron and J. A. Pays are the French Jesuits who headed the Department.
Fr. Annase SJ, Messers A. Clemet, Antony Maria Michael Joseph and S. Sandranad all Indians ably assisted Fr. Bergerson till his retirement in 1976.
He was followed by Mr. M.A. Savariar. The French Association started by him in 1978 is still functioning well. He was succeeded by Mr. A. Antony Raj who headed the department for 10 years. Now the Department is headed by Ms. Cynthia George and has plans of collaboration with University of Pondicherry.
|Papers Published by the Faculty||0|