The 110 year-old Department of Chemistry was founded in the Year 1906 by Rev. Fr. Augustinun Hass SJ. with Undergraduate course in Chemistry. As early as 1960 the M.Sc Chemistry was started. After 5 years the Ph.D. in Chemistry was introduced in the year 1965. About 21 Members of the Staff are involved in Teaching. They are assistingly collaborated by 8 Non-teaching Staff. There are about 300 Students learning Chemistry at the UG and PG levels. More than 85 Ph.D. Scholars are doing their research in Chemistry. The Department of Chemistry houses 9 Laboratories, 1 Store-room, 9 Classrooms and 1 Staff-room. It is a FIST and DBT-funded Department. The Department is well equipped with an FIST- Instrumentation Lab. The Students of Chemistry conveniently use the FIST- Department Library shelved with very recent books in many fields of Chemistry. The Department has published more than 2500 research papers in many Chemistry Journals of National and International repute. The Faculty of Chemistry have authored as many as 6 Books sofar. More than 12 Practical Manuals have been published by the Department. For the past 10 years the Department has been conducting CSIR-NET/SET/GATE and IIT Coaching classes. It has helped many scholars qualify these Examinations
to the PDF!